Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Military Minds

So today, thanks to a re tweet on twitter I found this website called Military Minds. So, many of you would wonder why a civilian woman would be curious to check this out.

I grew up with an  Army base located in my town. I went to school with kids who changed schools more time than I can imagine. It was that base that made me encounter Soldiers on a prevalent basis. In the fifth grade for Dare I even got to ride in one of the HM V's and yes I felt like big shit afterwards.

After freshman year I lost touch with families on our base because it became inactive. So, there was no longer air shows and all the other great activities. Although, people still get listed there it is kind of a quited part of our booming town...I say booming because it looks nothing like it did as I was growing up.

I stopped being close to the true reality, and fell in love with Hollywood's depictions of what went down. I even jumped on the Army Wives trains once Lifetime released it and Yes...Even though I know its probably not as accurate as it should be I still watch it.

However, I became a little more real-life acquainted when I came in contacted with a Veteran in December of 2011. At first, I found him quite charming and just said thank you for your service. I feel like now there is so much more I should do for him. He deserved more than a thank you...he deserved more than a hand to hold. Being injured in the war left him, what some would say...not the same. Hell, I can't imagine seeing things he has saw or completed missions like he had to complete. SO HOW IN THE HELL CAN WE EXPECT HIM and OTHERS to be NORMAL again!!!!!

Hell, What is Normal in the first place? Who is it for any of us to define NORMAL?

I guess what I wanted to write this post on is that these men and woman have seen things that us "civilians" can only mull over in our brains. I do not want to overload this with statistics because math is never been something I was good at .but when they come home and we tell them to Buck Up, Get Over it, MOVE ON...how can you imagine they take it? When we constantly ask them to recall or reface dark demons.... how can we expect them to be the people we "thought" we knew.

I want everyone to check out stories and videos on Military Minds...and if this is something you seem impelled to support like I do...I encourage you to donate or buy some of their merchandise.

Again, I thank every member of the Military. Past, Present, and Future. If not for them I would not have the abilities that I do. Without them I would be confined not to dream as big as I want. Without them, I don't know how more messed up our Country would be.

So, remember that fourth of July, Memorial Day, and Veteran's day may only come once a year...but don't you think they deserve a Thank You...more than that?

Blessings and Well Wishes

1 comment: