Thursday, May 16, 2013

What would I say to her?

A picture flashed on my computer screen. A very small girl about three years old. That small girl was me. Eyes brightened with a zeal for life and a heart still vibrant as ever. If I could have warned that little girl about the struggles she would endure, how would it be that I could tell her such things without breaking her eager spirit.
      How would I explain to her that gettin' glasses seemed like the end of the world but really opened up her world beyond belief. It gave her the ability to see details, words, and pictures. What would I tell her when her favorite cat boots got ran over by the neighbors pick up. Would I tell her about an even bigger loss that would occur later in her life or would I simply remind her to continue to love God's creatures equally.
     What about telling her to stay strong during what seemed like a mini-vacation to live with her grandma. Would I have told her about how her Mom always cared but circumstances dictated her life at that moment. Would I detour to tell her that forgiving him would be the hardest thing, but forgiving him of all his wrongdoing is what would ultimately set her free from his reign.
   Would I know how to spoil her teen years. Would I have been able to paint such vivid pictures of Spain in her mind. At that point, she wouldn't have even known other places existed. Would I be able to prepare her for the beginning struggle with her weight? Could I have protected her from self redicule. I couldn't and still wouldn't even if I could.

The things I could confidently tell her is that even in lives darkest moments, never forget to have hope. Hope that tomorrow will be better, hope that life will continue on, hope that love and support will never be far from her. To BE COURAGEOUS! To not let the small lamb inside be triumphed by overabundant lions, and to sometimes be the leader of the pride. To let her voice soar, to scream when she needs to, to laugh without tryin' to control it, to speak out against injustice and to speak up about passion and love. I would tell her to stand tall, to shine, to be an adventurer, a dreamer, and a passionate lover of life. I would tell her that no matter what gets thrown at her, that she will survive, because when she looks in a mirror into my eyes she will still there! 

No comments: