Sunday, May 19, 2013

Looking for Alaska by John Green...A book review with a twist

If I haven't expressed it enough I am a uber nerd. I've battled a love and hate relationship with reading well because when your younger its so cool and then it becomes not so cool. However, no in my life I wish I had more time to read.
I stumbled across a quote a little over a year ago, it caught my attention perhaps because the signatures in my works is rain .. In my first two, it signified a danger, and eminence of doubt and despair and at the time writing those rain had lost its beauty to me. Whereas, now a days rain usually signifies the rebirth or resurgence of something. This quote comes from John Greens book looking for Alaska which I devoured in a mere five hours, it goes "If people were rain, I was the drizzle and she was the hurricane."

What a blissfully wonderful phrase. I personally find the connection due to my friends relating me to sometimes acting such as a hurricane. In moments of the book, I felt like Alaska and some parts I felt like Pudge(aka Miles). I related to Alaska in a sense of her feelings regarding her actions to a tragic event. Also, I have been trying to create a Life Library of books to read and like Alaska I think I've saved every paper I have ever written.

However, I feel like Miles a lot. I had few friends growing up. I don't really know how to classify where I fell in regards to high school cliques. Like him I had a small circle of close friends, one being a girl named Linsey. Unlike Miles I didn't have a physical attraction to Linsey but I loved her as if she was my sister. As the book goes on, Miles realizes that after his life tragic event that things will continue to fall apart and that memories will eventually do the same.

I remember feeling the exact emotions shear days after Linsey passed away and they mirror almost perfectly to the way Miles felt after losing Alaska. I remember the fear of forgetting how she laughed, the kind of shampoo or perfume she used, I feared always having to do things alone.

While Miles went to Culver Creek to find his Great Perhaps, I feel like Miles found a greater appreciation to life. That while both Love and Friendship is often the most grazed by currency of life, Miles realized that there was hope in having friends and although he was never sure if Alaska loved him back, he could rest assured that their friendship was "to be continued."

As a writer I find it vital to dive into others stories. I commended John Green for the excellent work of fiction he produced and love how in the back he mentions creating characters similar to people he knows because I do that also.

I recommend everyone read this novel. It is probably more gauged to teenage kids but its lessons that you can recall and remind yourself of.  Like Miles, I suppose I let part of my life slip after Linsey died because I was looking for the answer, for a sign that she was still here. Although, similar to Miles, I can take great pride in knowing that just like Alaska forgives him for his transgressions, Linsey forgives me of mine.

No comments: