Monday, August 17, 2015

Sail away with Callahan Divide

     Probably, about time to dust this blog off. It has been quite some time in my life since my last post. I relocated to Texas for a job, have letters behind my name...I am now a Physical Therapist Assistant. However, no matter how many hats I wear, I will always be a writer and a music lover. It is funny lookin' at the latest title of Callahan Divide's EP: Come about. In the nautical sense of the word it means change directions. In essence from the last time I left you with a post I was deep in the seas of hope, faith, and reality. Now a lot of my life revolves around sailing along the lyrical melodies and uptempo beats of this emerging Texas band.
    The members: Colton, Garrett, Justin and Travis come together in perfect harmony. Writing songs that rival the storytellings' of any great author. With lyrics that pay homage to growing up in the Lonestar state to the usual heart break, nights that you'll never forget, and hope for what is to come down the great road of life. If you ever come to Texas make a stop in Callahan County. Nestled in the middle is Abilene, where the band hails from. It is easy to see that the county not only led rise to their name but is a place where lots of magical musical happenings occur.
    Take in an Acoustic show or go full band and get the true: Callahan Divide experience. I've hung out with the band a few times and on my last round, Colton said something that I couldn't let go of, "One day when we play Billy Bob's, I'll remember this night playing a little club in San Angelo so close to the Motel 6." I smiled and referred to, "A night no one at Billy Bob's will know about but a night that will forever keep them humble."
    I got the idea to write this post because one older lady at the bar  that night in San Angelo came up to Travis and asked if they would be playing any George Strait or Garth brooks songs. It took everythin' I had not to take matters into my own hands but Travis handled her with Kindness. I am a fan of George and Garth but the beauty of discovering artist such as these 4 is the true talent that is songwriting. I have tried it a time or two and without any skills with a guitar or singing for that matter I found it difficult and unsuccessful. They have a way of finding lines that stick with you. That make you think. They have a way of painting pictures that if you listen close enough is vivid enough to imagine. Such as their song Pirate: A homeless man is lookin' for an escape for his true reality and wishes he could  be sailing across the seas and become a pirate. Or to the real life reality of realizing what you had in front of you was good enough in their song Gone.  The best part is that their music is 100 percent authentically them, no fabrication. They may throw a cover in now and then but every line they play gives listeners the unique Callahan Divide sound.
        Established 5 years ago: 2 albums, an EP, and a new album in the works I do not see an end to this  musical journey quite yet. I actually see a breakthrough and continued success to come for these guys. They are the singers for the lost souls, the gypsies and the dreamers. For the rock n roll rebels and for those in love with the fact that Texas Music doesn't give a fuck about rules.
   I dare you to dive deeply into this band. I dare you to break out of societies comfort zone and fall deeply in love with walking outside the radio waves to find a band that has soul, 4 incredible instrumentalist, songs from the heart and minds and that is leavin' their mark in the Texas red dirt.

So, Don't be shy, hop aboard, and let's all set sail with Callahan Divide.




 

No comments: