Monday, March 5, 2012

Dynamic Duo- Welcome to Crawford and James County

   I am pleased to write this blog about two Northwestern guys: Josh James and Aaron Crawford who combine to become country music's newest Dynamic Duo Crawford &James. I was lucky enough to get plenty of questions answered by one half of the duo Josh James and among the laughter got more insight into the music and the magic that makes Crawford & James a duo to watch out for. I asked them to define to me who they think their sound most commonly relates to, James told me that is a question they get asked a lot and love to find themselves drifting between the borders of country music and classic Americana. However, he says that the duo is highly influenced from the great Tom Petty and Marshal Tucker, although his hopes is they can create something new and fresh but still retain a traditional sound. Which is exactly what they do. They are refreshing but have moments in songs like Endless summer that scream tradition.
   I was curious on why they would pursue a career as a duo instead of individually and the answer not only made sense but was truly insightful. They like options and with two members the options become twice as much as if they were to go it alone. Plus, with the retirement of Brooks & Dunn there was a void in the Male Duo department. I admire them greatly for coming together and finding their niche in the world of music.
  Much like other new artist instead of diving directly into the CD process  they released an introductory EP. This EP was to be almost like a preface to what was to come for the boys and much to their surprise they never intended it to reach so many peoples hands but are so blessed it has. James said "picking songs for the CD, "fell into place". That is music for you. It can magically flow together and as a fan I am stoked to hear the tunes that are forthcoming from this duo.
   I also admitted my love affair to Josh James about one of the songs on their EP called Freedom like this. For a gypsy soul like me the line "You take the Map and I'll take the wheel" symbolically allocates how I one day hope my relationship will go when I find the right guy for me. James told me that songwriter Jedd Hughes wrote the piece and is notable for writing songs for Keith Urban.  Much like the symbolism I saw in the lyrics James said "they love the song because it takes you somewhere." Much like the country music of old the story still resonates. Each listener can feel swept away to wherever they want to go. Need it be a ride down a beach front road or getting lost down the countless back roads. This song beautifully portrays the softer side of the duo.
   I asked a pretty stiff question to them. Asking the duo if they think that their music could help country music throw back to its more traditional roots (i.e. using my favorite instrument the steel guitar)...James said they never thought about their music in such a way but like me feels like country music isn't country without a few key instruments. James believes a well played steel, with a great fiddle and a Dobro makes country music what it is.
   Although, I wanted to focus on the groups sound I also wanted to dive into who they are as individuals. For often times for listeners of music a commonality with an artist brings them to listen to them more often (i.e. David Nail and Sarah Evans are both from Missouri like myself, I find a lot of there music I can relate to and are proud of what they do musically). James proceeded to outline that they are two normal guys. Aaron Crawford being the methodical one since he went to school and majored in music. James makes him do all the hard stuff but prior to joining the duo he was in several bands and bar tended on the side. Crawford loves to play fantasy football, work out, drink diet rock star (i didn't even know they made that), and attend church every Sunday.
     When describing himself, James said he was born the son of a preacher and his mother is a nurse. He is from southern Oregon and started playing music in his dad's church at the age of 12. He says that his wife is to good for him and that they raise horses( made this horse lovers heart smile). That is actually how he met Mrs. James. They have lots of pets and he says that unlike Aaron's healthy lifestyle he lives an unhealthy one, refusing to give up cheese and red meat on account that he would have a seizure if they made him.
   Being in the music biz artist often have one of two people they dream to collaborate with. Since I only contact with James he answered that George Strait would be his choice and not sure if Aaron would agree but he loves the King of country music because of his mastery of simple songs. I would totally love to see a Strait/ Crawford & James collaboration myself.
    I also asked them if they had advice for people pursuing music (I have a cousin and thought maybe I could help her) but James told me they were trying to figure that out still but had a laundry list of must that I don't think I can remember but what I can remember is "write songs...if you don't know how...learn".

   As for who they love to cover in shows it rattles down to about anyone from doing "Free Falling" from Tom Petty but adding some country flair. All the way to  to the original outlaw of male duos Brooks & Dunn with " you're gonna miss me" all the way to Waylon and Marshal Tucker.
   To wrap it up you can find their music in a variety of outlets from Itunes to soon they will be on the fastest growing outlet for music Spotify. James said he was surprised how social media has surged to help musicians and they have now taken to being real serious about using the outlets (so glad they are I like keeping up with them) However, if James was writing this I am sure he would end this the same way I am going to.
   When you listen to Crawford and James or go and see them in concert You get what you see. They are two genuine guys who love music. Who are blazing their own path and are twisting country and Americana together to create a fusion that is so beautifully blooming to become the unique sound of the next great country male duo: Crawford and James! So, check them out. You'll like what you hear and be begging for more of the simple songs that send you time traveling. Make them a play list on your own special life soundtrack. You will love the freshness they bring and of course the adventures that they transpose into their lyrics.

No comments: