Friday, March 16, 2012

Fighters Breed Fighters - The Mckennon Wimberly Story

A young golden glove boxer was inspired to put on his gloves thanks to the ideology of the one and only Muhammad Ali...yet this boxer also just so happened to love bulls. To say that this is a weird combination is naive for whether fighting an opponent or dancing with a bull it takes the heart of a fighter to get the job done.
    Mckennon Wimberly, the Cool, Texas cowboy as he has been called; eats, sleeps, and breathes the life of a fighter. It's something almost genetic about him. Growing up the son of Joe Wimberly it is no surprise that the addiction to the danger flowed readily through his veins. However, his reckless soul was nurtured by his mother Paula. His upbringing has made him a young man that many can relate to and all end up loving.
    Back in 2007 when Wimberly broke on to the Elite Built Ford Tough Series at the age of 18, he saw some opposition from some rodeo fans seeing him as: a cocky cowboy who couldn't back up the words he spoke. Like a true Fighter, Mckennon triumphed by not letting them get to him and by anxiously applying the catch phase: "I'm young, I'm handsome, and I can't possibly be beat." Though, the 18 year old soon turned into a true contender in the year 2010 and 2011.
    Unfortunately, the potential to succeed in 2011 was shattered by one ride. As bull riding fans know, all it takes is one injury to end a season, a career, and even a life. Wimberly's was in Anaheim, he had been spending time at the beach with his girlfriend, now fiance, stock contractor Mesa Pate. As always Wimberly felt confident that he could get the job done and make the 8 second buzzer. Neither him or Pate could envision what would really happen. As the nights festivities got underway Wimberly mounted up in his modern Warrior gear: vest, chaps, helmet. It would be this helmet that would save him from the first initial blow he sustained from MoeBandy.com from D& H cattle and country singer Moe Bandy. However, the force of the blow, sent his helmet flying. The unconscious Wimberly still tied on would then endure another blow to his head.
    When accidents like this happen the arena falls silent. Almost like Hollywood orchestrated such a soundtrack. Gasps and awe struck stares looked on. It would soon be concluded that Wimberly Suffered a Traumatic brain injury, a crack in his shoulder, and a broken jaw.
       Most people with Traumatic Brain Injuries never fully recover, but remember what I've already told you: Wimberly is a fighter. After months and months of rehabilitation Wimberly showed the world what his heart was made of and in Vegas in 2011 asked the love of his life to marry him.
     Most people would call Wimberly's story one of a Cinderella moment. However, in a cowboys life nothing is ever certain.
     That is one lesson he has taught me. I am gonna detour a bit and tell you a side story on this cowboy. One that turned me from just a fan into one of his friends. I met Mckennon his rookie year. I had no clue who the cowboy was but knew from his Kodak smile that he would be famous and I wanted to watch his success unfold. My best friend told me that he was a superstar in the making. I couldn't have agreed more with her. When Wimberly returned to Kansas city in 2008 I first caught glimpse of the humorous guy he was, as he placed my friends, sisters, and cousin's baseball caps on the wrong way after signing them. I suppose its that memory I default to quite a bit when I need to smile. For that would be the last time my friend would be standing next to this great athlete.
       My soul sister Linsey Kay Nelson died September 12th, 2008. A day that is ingrained in me. In November I embarked on a journey to write my first novel called the Western Dreamer inspired by cowboys such as Wimberly and what it truly takes to fight for the dreams that burn inside. I am proud to say Mckennon owns a copy and even has a special dedication in the sequel...the dedication reads as such :
This novel is also dedicated to the fearless Mckennon Wimberly, a cowboy who always inspires me to be my absolute best; a cowboy that has taught me to fight for all my dreams. A guy who has a bright future full of countless dreams himself. 

If it was anything through the process of exploring my writing it was Mckennon's voice who echoed "journey on. and stay the course." In 2009 I realized the true meaning of being a fighter. It's about being knocked out and never settling for anything less than what your best. Through, this friendship I have also grown to be friends with his mom Paula. Paula reminds me that in this day and age its okay to be strong willed : I think she is who Mckennon got it from. I have also briefly talked to Mckennon's sisters who are so proud of their little brother.
      For people wondering if Mckennon can ever reach the climax he was heading to in 2011, I say, wait and see. For he is ready to prepare for battle. Much like the warrior attitude he displays for his fans, his loyal followers have adopted the name Wimberly Warriors to honor him. It is his fighting spirit that inspires, motivates, and commands attention. The next time you see this cowboys name on a Rodeo Roster go up and shake his hand. Your bound to find that behind his smooth lines, is a genuine 110 percent cowboy and you'll make a friend for life.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mckennon's will to fight also comes from his mother's family. In 1970 his Uncle Jim lost his lengthy battle with cancer. Only 16 at the time, if asked, he was always better than the day before. Paula got her will from grandmother & mother. I never saw such determined women. Mckennon, may your angels enclose you in their wings and lift you to God for his protection & grace.